2 (equipment) steps forward, 1 (equipment) step back
This week I expanded my equipment usage beyond the S5000 to two other pieces yet to see any use in my studio. Good news: one was cool; bad news: one was not.
Before I got to the new equipment I did some more sample work on the S5000, finding two loops featuring vocals. At some point I should try putting some of these loops into a song structure.
The new equipment came in after that: recording a Novation A-Station synthesizer into a Tascam 488 MkII cassette multitracker. I found a cool arpeggiatted patch on the A-Station to start with, and got that down (hear below).
However, recording beyond this was problematic as the Tascam's track layout is a bit weird and I don't have the manual. This led to me not being able to capture another idea I came up with.
So started a bad seed in my mind, and at the end of the session I knew that the multitrack cassette workflow was not going to be a goer for me. When trying to get ideas down, the last thing one needs is extra hurdles. I think Studio One will suffice in the future.