This week I continued on from last week by working further on "wurlinoise". This consisted of separating out the two main parts in the timeline, which changed the structure of piece to A-B; after that, both sections were developed sonically.
After finishing the second creativity session of the week I wasn't feeling happy though. While "wurlinoise" is proceeding well enough, I just don't think this is the direction I should be going at this time. This thought process led me to understand a significant flaw in my AnnualPact approach.
With CreativePact, the Pacter declares their project and then is expected to stick to that project for a month. This focus has allowed me, in previous years, to really establish a project in my mind, formalising it and making it easier to continue with after Pact completion.
So far for me, this AnnualPact's focus has been too vague. This has led me to spread my creative time across a number of different things: sampling with the S5000, developing Dorian Zoyd tracks, writing Dorian Zoyd lyrics, and creating all new tracks (like ("wurlinoise").
Maybe for the first couple of months that would be acceptable, but by this point I needed to have decided on a direction and be on the path already. Otherwise nothing will get finished.
It's clear what the direction should be: moving forward with a Dorian Zoyd release. And this should be the priority for the following reasons:
- It's the project that has been advanced the most (i.e. it is the closest to being finished).
- I haven't released any music since December 2017, so I need to do that.
- There's a good amount of the year left, and it takes me ages to write lyrics, so let's get on with it.
- If I do finish enough of the track production and lyrics, I can move on to recording the lyrics as the next stage.
- As I won't have time to record lyrics until the autumn, I can spend time developing the tracks and lyrics without a lot of pressure.
If there's any time after that, it can be devoted to following some of the other paths. But from now the focus will be a new release for Dorian Zoyd.