Automaton score, now with performer notes
Inching closer is the term. I now have an organ score for Automaton with performer notes, so really I'm awaiting feedback on the score from James before I can finally put a stamp on it.
I turned to Apple's Pages to create the notes, as a lot of the niceties of a word processor – such as spell-checking and image wrapping – MuseScore isn't set up to handle. Creating a document featuring both notes and score isn't an problem however: using Apple Preview it's simple enough to combine PDFs of the notes and score into one single document.
The performer notes go through the atypical aspects of my score, primarily sections A and C, and the Live notation. Putting my vector graphics hat on, I designed a Launchpad controller diagram to illustrate how the notes translate onto the 8x8 grid, and put it all together into a document I hope makes clear my intentions with the score.
Making these notes also highlighted one obvious mistake I made when conceiving the Live notation: clips in Live are arranged top-to-bottom on the screen and that is how the available clips are represented on the controller; unwittingly, I had conceived the pitch scale bottom-to-top, meaning the Y-axis was mapped backwards. I have rectified my score so now Y1 starts on the second E above middle-C and the layout of clips follows the direction of pitch on the score.
(As an aside on the Live score, I realised that a Live score note without a number can represent pressing the Scene Launch Button, thereby activating all extant clips horizontally across the tracks. Cool, I know.)