Beginnings of a score
It is official. Automaton now has a score. It has taken me half of the Pact so far to get started on this vital item, but after a good deal of pondering I have begun.
The score-writing process actually started with a mapping of performed parts in my notebook (as shown in the attached image). I blocked out the parts for each section then used four different highlighter colours to mark who performs which parts (or whether it's a computer part). This allowed me to focus specifically on what needed to be notated for the organ score.
With the part overview mapped out I opened up MuseScore and got notating, using the main Logic session as my guide. (Let me tell you, for a free program MuseScore is excellent. It has a good set of tutorials, useful online help and I was able to get up to speed quickly.)
My aim for today was to get the organ parts for the song body in place, which I achieved. In doing so I ended up writing for two manuals and pedals – I have decided to set up one of the manuals in a higher registration for use as solo part, and the bass part transposes nicely onto the pedals.
This leaves the intro part to do, as well as some performative aspects on the outro (which has notes but no other directions). Also, as this is the first notated score I've written in many years I'll have to confirm that it is indeed playable.