AJ | Pact | logo
PACT
Dorian Live

Dorian Live

1 September 2015

CreativePact (32 posts)

Having lately developed my studio practice it's time to look at the live side, so with a big gig on the horizon I'll use this Pact to lay the groundwork for Dorian Live.

MuseScore and Live notation

27/09/15
AJ Pact | Dorian Live | MuseScore and Live notation

Previously, on Adam Jansch CreativePact 2015... I had come up with a system for notating the Ableton Live/Novation Launchpad combination adapted from standard notation. Today I attempted to translate that into MuseScore.

The result? As you can see from the score header it was success, though it took some time. Much of this came from getting to grips with MuseScore's more advanced features, though there was also some rejigging required for major score elements. In the end I reconfigured MuseScore's instruments to the following:

  • Live: one stave set up with its own custom clef, with no key signature
  • Organ (choir): a single treble clef stave for organ solos
  • Organ (swell): another single treble clef stave for the main organ part
  • Organ (pedals): a bass clef stave for low end organ work

Previously, I had a single pipe organ instrument set up, which came with a 2+1 stave arrangement – a braced treble/bass clef combo for one manual and a low bass clef for the bass end. I realised that as my choir and swell parts operate effectively within the treble clef it would make sense to notate the two manuals on separate staves and avoid a single combined stave with manual swaps.

The addition of the extra stave for Live was essential due to its non-standard configuration. For the custom clef I found that MuseScore allows images to be drag-n-dropped onto a selected note and then moved around and scaled from there: not the cleanest way of importing a clef, but I'll take it. Text can also be attached (loosely) to a note, so my track number notation was a goer too.

Additional configuration requirements for the Live stave included removing the key signature for just that stave: after some hunting around I found the option to hide the key signature on specific staves. Finally, as the Live stave is only in use for the intro I set up the "Hide empty staves" feature to remove it from the system beyond that point.

Heading into the final week of this CreativePact I plan to set up the Live session and get around to actually notating the intro section.